Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Swimming and "Running"

Here's my iPod...it's yellow and I love it! The white thing attached to the bottom of it is the receiver of the Nike+ sensor that keeps track of my work outs...tells me when I'm finished, it's a pedometer too! The back of my iPod is engraved with "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" ---and I say - Because I Can. :)
Here's my swimsuit and goggles...I think I might need to get a swim cap...my hair is a little shorter now and it's not staying in my ponytail...and getting in my face when I do the front crawl!

Monday was my "rest" day. Monday night I packed my gym bag with everything I needed to swim and get ready for work. I've been blessed that my work schedule has changed a bit and I will be able to do some training on Tuesday mornings since I don't have to leave for work until 11:30 (I work until 7:00). Wednesdays, I am off of work - so I can train with no excuses on Wednesdays too.

Anyway - yesterday was my first time back at the YWCA in downtown Green Bay since last September (I bought a 10-dip pass and used 6 or 7 last year). So I get to the pool and including me, it made four people lap swimming. I guess when you get past 3 - it's supposed to go in a "square" around the lanes instead of back and forth laps. But, accommodating women make it work - the 4 of us shared the lanes. Then - there was this older man who decided to jump into a lane and swim on his back without the woman in that lane knowing...well...they collided and started bickering back and forth about who should be watching where they were going. UGH! It didn't stop there either...they started at each other again when the lady stopped in the corner to say hi to a friend and the guy yelled at her for being on the "wrong side" of the pool for chatting...I finally asked them if they usually swim at this time...because that was just something I don't need in my life. My Thursday swims will be early for about 2 weeks - the outdoor pools open in a couple of weeks and I will swim outdoors to get used to the weather/cold water vs. the 85 degree YWCA pool. Last year I think the water temp was 68 or something like that for the triathlon. Anyway - I was supposed to swim for 20 minutes at a relaxing pace...I did 26 minutes and 4 in the hot tub. :)

Today - was my first "power walk/run". Thank goodness for my iPod...for real. Music certainly takes my mind off of how difficult it is for me to "run". "Run" is in quotes because it's probably considered a fast walk for some, a jog for others...to me...I'm running. I walked most of the time, but at 2 different intersections - I ran. I ran about 1/2-mile without stopping and then maybe another 0.3 miles a little later on. What song is my favorite running song? Right now - it's Michael Jackson's "Ease on Down the Road" from The Wiz. I absolutely love it...the music, the lyrics, everything.

One verse says "Cause there may be times when you think you lost your mind, and the steps you're taking leave you three four steps behind. But the road you're walking might be long sometimes, you just keep on stepping and you'll be just fine". :)

Anyway - I love running to that song! That's all today...early to bed...early to rise! So far week one is going well...thanks for checking in!






1 comment:

  1. Always good to post a note. You never know when someone will log in and get exactly what they need from your words and your experiences. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete