Monday, June 7, 2010

Welcome to the YWCA pool...where 72 lengths = 1 mile. 36 = 1/2-mile - which means 18 laps is approximately what I will be swimming across Lake Andrea in July. I remember last year when I was training and I thought the swim was 1/4-mile and I looked at the website about 2 weeks before that and it said 1/2-mile and I freaked out. Thing is - I love to swim. It really is just a relaxing sport for me. It doesn't hurt (well - the breaststroke doesn't hurt - I fell like I could do that for days), it's quiet and relaxing - I just really enjoy it. But - when people sign up for a triathlon...they either hate the thought of swimming or they welcome it. Swimming in a pool alone is WAY different than swimming across a lake with hundreds of women! When I'm waiting on the shore for the hundreds of women to start swimming in front of me, I have to just relax, because there is a lot of panic and commotion going on around me. And it's cold! It restricts your lung capacity really fast and it's a totally different feeling than being in the 88 degree YWCA pool! But - it's still swimming - so I have to concentrate on that...I love to swim...3 feet of water or 50 feet - I still float! No freaking out!

Last year - I "saved" someone. She was panicking...I saw her moving her arms and legs and not going anywhere! It was pretty scary - but one reason to do the Danskin or Trek triathlon is the use of "swim angels". There are volunteers that float in the water with 2 or 3 noodles and give you one if you're afraid and they will even swim along side you and talk you through it. Then they get out of the water with you - you probably exchange hugs and they get on a golf cart, they get shuttled to the entry point, hop in the water again and do it all over. Back to the girl...I just made sure she got to the swim angel...and turns out that once she had the noodle - she had a really strong swim...she ended up passing me! You're Welcome! :)


So - if any of you that are reading my posts are wavering - and mostly because of the swim - I highly encourage you to sign up for the Trek Women's Triathlon or the Danskin - because they have the swim angels...it's a good way to "test the waters". Once you know you can make it across the lake - you'll be back next year! ;)



So - week two of training is coming to a close. I had to take 2 days off - one swim day and one walk/run day...HOWEVER - I used my day of rest yesterday to fill in with the walk/run. I'm having problems with my Nike+ iPod program - it's supposed to record the steps I take AND the mileage and pace and calories. Well - for the second time in the row - pressing "the menu key to end the work out" has erased it. The only information saved was 6 steps and 1 calorie burned. NOT TRUE!!! I was out for 35 minutes and walked/ran and it was about 2.75 miles. People - I RAN!!! I added up the segments (0.4 miles, 0.5 miles, and 0.4 miles)...trainers always say to start by running little bits and someday you can put the together...I might be able to do that soon! I can't wait.
I have to work on the strength training portion of training. I haven't done it yet - but I know it's important...I need to build some strength in my legs (for running) and my arms (for biking) because I'm feeling some aches and pains. I want to complete this triathlon...so I'm going to have to do it!
I just read my sister Kris' entry on her blog for the week...it was an update on her myositis condition. I'm trying to get into strength training for a triathlon...she HAS the strength to get through doctor's appts that don't have great news. I hope to pull some of the courage and strength from what she is going through and put it into what I am doing...after all...I Am TRAINING...Because I Can!
I'm off to mulch at mom and dad's now! But I'm going to leave you with this little tidbit...
A definition of courage - no matter if it is swimming across a lake or fighting a battle with an illness...
FEEL THE FEAR...AND DO IT ANYWAY!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment